Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stranded at sea

OK, It was more of a manmade tide-pool, and we were only in 6 inches of water, but technically we were "aground" or "stranded" and the water was seawater (or at least brakish). Back 10 to 15 years ago when I first came to Taiwan I used to come down to the fishing port and hang out. Before it was reclaimed and gentrified it resembled more of a wharf you might find in a Batman comic - where the Batman goes to find trouble - more than the touristy resort like atmosphere we have today.


I'd seen the bottom of the bay back then before it was dredged and gated - and I'd seen some nasty stuff stuck in the mud. Back then you couldn't walk the beach for more than 50 yards w/out finding a hypodermic washed up on the shore.


It's much cleaner now - but those memories, and my wife, kept me from taking off my shoes and pushing us back in deeper water.

Besides, it seemed so absurdly funny, and the weather was nice.

No comments: